When you make your own mixes you control what goes in, and more importantly, what doesn't go in. No artificial colors, preservatives, or other yuckies. It's a time saving way to cook from scratch, which is always tastier and usually more economical.
DIY Cornbread Mix
Recipe type: DIY Mix
Serves: 4 to 6 serving
Keep a batch of this in your pantry and you can bake your own from scratch cornbread whenever you want. Having a prepared mix ready to go saves you time; making it yourself saves you money. Do try this with the whole wheat flour. Whole grains add a health benefit, and the nutty flavor of whole wheat complements the cornbread.
- 4 cups whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 4 cups cornmeal
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well with a whisk.
- Store in a plastic container with well-fitting lid.
- To use:
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place ¼ vegetable oil in 8-9 inch baking pan or iron skillet.
- Place skillet in oven and allow to heat until very hot, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 2 cups dry mix in a medium bowl.
- Add 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, and stir till all ingredients are moistened.
- Remove pan from oven and pour batter into pan. The batter should sizzle when it hits the oil.
- Return pan to hot oven and bake until brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool and serve with butter.