Mexican Pork Roast
Serves: 10 servings
If you cook the meat longer (until meat is falling apart), you can shred it with 2 forks and use for sandwiches or tacos served in flour tortillas. Delicious paired with caramelized onion, avocado, salsa, and/or sour cream! Makes great fajitas, tacos and BBQ sandwiches. Even tamales!
- Mexican Pork Roast
- 2-3 lb. pork loin or roast
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder (or use 3 cloves garlic and add into crock pot with onions)
- ¼ tsp. red (cayenne pepper) can omit or increase, depending on level of heat you want in final dish
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 TBL. brown sugar
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup regular cola
- Mix all the spices together and rub into the pork.
- Place onion and garlic cloves (if using fresh) into the pot.
- Place meat on top of onions.
- Pour the chicken stock and cola in the crock pot and cover.
- Cook 6 hours on medium in crock pot for large roast; 4 hours for a smaller one.
- Remove from pot when meat is tender and place on a platter.
- While meat is resting, strain the solids out of the liquid left in the crock pot.
- Place in a sauce pan and add in a slurry made from 2 tablespoons corn starch and 2 tablespoons water. Heat until bubbling and thickened.
- Slice meat and serve with sauce.